About UsWe want seniors to Thrive in their golden years.
Who We Are
Thrive Senior Advisors is the premiere referral agency for senior housing and care in the Pacific Northwest. While we help all of our clients find solutions to their housing and care needs, we also focus deeply on the quality of life for each individual. It’s important to us that our seniors and their families find options that are not only financially sustainable, but also assist in creating joy and peace in these special years of life. We can help you through this process so that you can ultimately have peace of mind.
“The person who tries to live alone will not succeed as a human being. His heart withers if it does not answer another heart. His mind shrinks away ifhe hears only the echoes of his own thoughts and finds no other inspiration.” – Pearl S. Buck
Founder & Senior Living Advisor
Lauren Ward is Founder, President and Senior Living Advisor who brings a breadth of knowledge and experience serving seniors and their families since 1981. She’s been a Licensed Therapeutic Recreation Specialist for 26 years along with being an Alzheimer’s Support Group Leader in Adult Day Health for 3 years where she’s provided a milieu of recreation programs and therapies for seniors and the actively dying.
Lauren brings to her clients a sensitivity and tenderness for what the families and their loved ones are going through emotionally and medically along with the tenacity for understanding the need for quality of life of the senior.
Prior to starting her own company, she worked with another local referral agency for 11 years. Her background includes the following:
• 34 years serving families and their loved ones.
• 26 years as a Licensed Recreational Therapist providing quality of life services in Adult Day Health, Senior Centers and Skilled Nursing Facilities (SNFs.)
• 16 years Lauren was employed at 2 SNFS where she provided both quality of life and community re-integration services;
~ 8 years at a 235 bed SNF where English as a 2nd language comprised approximately 40% of the
~ 8 years in a 115 bed SNF also serving residents in a 12 bed ventilator unit.
• Managed a department of 5 activity staff, a Volunteer Coordinator, also provided oversight of 120 volunteers.
• Assisted in supervising a memory care unit.
• Trained care staff to provide direct care to the most combative residents suffering from dementia.
• Support Group Leader (trained by the WA, DC chapter of the Alzheimer’s Assn.) in Adult Day Health.
• In 1987, with her knowledge of ADA regulations and requirements, she conducted an ADA Accessibility Survey for the new Smithsonian African Art Museum Building. The Smithsonian made all of the necessary changes she found which included visual, height and fall risk issues of the environment and exhibits.
• Offers information to families about their loved ones’ disease processes to facilitate greater understanding and educates families on how to best communicate with their loved ones suffering from dementia.
• Emphasis is placed on the importance of quality of life so that families served are able to make informed decisions on the best possible options for their loved ones.
Director of Operations
Mary has been with Thrive Senior Advisors since 2015 and is responsible for all back office operations and supporting our Senior Advisors.
Prior to joining Thrive, she spent 16 years working for a vitamin company where she assisted customers of all ages with questions and products. During this time, her Mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s Disease and her family had to learn all about the care continuum on their own. They placed her mother into a memory care unit of assisted living and later into an Adult Family Home where her mother received end of life care on hospice. As painful as this was, Mary enjoyed being by her mother’s bedside daily while she transitioned away from her family as the disease progressed. Sadly, prior to her mother’s illness, Mary’s father suffered with dementia and lived his remaining years in a Skilled Nursing Facility.
Because there was no help for Mary and siblings, she greatly appreciates the extent that Thrive focuses on their clients’ loved ones care and quality of life needs.
Mary is happily married with three lovely children and are grateful for the three beautiful grandchildren that they have. She spends a lot of time with her grandchildren to loving and spoiling them as much as she and her husband wants. Because she and her husband and did not have the opportunity to get to know their grandparents, they feel that family and grandchildren are extremely important in their lives.